SJC’s Food Pantry collection has been in operation since the 1970’s. Any day of the year, parishioners can come to the church vestibule and donate nonperishable food and grocery items that will be given to area food pantries. At the end of each month (or sometimes more often) following a weekday morning Mass, parishioners load vans with the donated items for delivery to a local food pantry. These pantries, in turn, distribute food directly to those in need.
St. John of the Cross parishioners are amazingly generous. As demand has risen ever higher at area food pantries, our parishioners have responded with empathy and compassion by increasing donations to the Food Pantry Collection. In some months, we are able to respond to emergency appeals from food pantries whose supplies are depleted when more people than expected seek help.
We are abundantly blessed to be able to give so generously. Your gifts are greatly appreciated by the many people whom you help, yet may never see.
What to donate
There is great need for non-perishable food items, personal hygiene and homecare products. Please donate items in intact packages and within expiration dates. Note, pantries cannot distribute food that is 6 months past it’s ‘best by’ date.
Too busy to shop? We’ll do it for you – donations made out to SJC Outreach can be sent to the SJC Parish Center c/o Bill Bright.
Suggested items include
- Cans of protein: tuna, chicken, ham, Spam, ravioli, chili, beef stew
- Dry pasta, rice, boxed potatoes
- Pasta sauce (no glass jars, please)
- Beans, canned or dry in bags – pinto, black, red, etc.
- Macaroni and cheese
- Cans of fruit, vegetables
- Cereal, hot or cold
- Peanut butter, jelly
- Baby food, formula
- Staples: cooking oil, sugar, flour, cornmeal, Bisquick, powdered milk
- Household: soap, for laundry and dishwashing
- Personal hygiene items:
- Soap, shampoo
- Toothpaste, toothbrushes
- Feminine hygiene products
- Toilet paper*
- Travel sized toiletries (i.e., hotel soap, shampoo)
- Disposable diapers and baby wipes*
* Cannot be purchased with food stamps
These area food pantries receive and re-distribute our donations:
- January – St. Barbara in Brookfield
- February – St. Francis Xavier in LaGrange
- March – St. Blase in Summit
- April – St. Cletus in LaGrange
- May – Mary Queen of Heaven in Cicero
- June – St. Francis Xavier in LaGrange
- July – St. Barbara in Brookfield
- August – St. Francis Xavier in LaGrange
- September – St. Blase in Summit
- October – St. Cletus in LaGrange
- November – Mary Queen of Heaven in Cicero
- December – St. Blase in Summit