“Whether they are young or old, hungry or addicted, homeless or friendless, Catholic Charities walks with its clients, bringing them help and hope. With 159 programs at 156 locations throughout Cook and Lake counties, we serve virtually every neighborhood and parish in the Chicagoland area. For 90 years, Catholic Charities has empowered families and individuals of all races and religious backgrounds to realize their full potential. Last year we touched the lives of more than 1.1 million people.” From the Catholic Charities web site http://www.catholiccharities.net/about/
Throughout the year, St. John of the Cross parishioners reach out to those in need, collecting gently used clothing and coats, food and school supplies, as well as offering financial support through the annual Mother’s Day Collection. Parishioners also volunteer at Catholic Charities in Cicero or downtown.
Here’s how you can get involved:
- Food Pantry – Contribute to the Food Pantry collection in the narthex of the Church; contributions are donated to the Catholic Charities Cicero Food Pantry in June, September, and December.
- Clothing Collection – The St. John of the Cross Parish School manages and ongoing clothing collection at the school. Our volunteers deliver donations to Catholic Charities in Cicero, where we sort and stock the clothing room. Every Wednesday, over fifty families visit the clothing room, where each family is limited to a single 20-minute visit to choose clothing. The number of families seeking help has increased dramatically in these difficult times, and Catholic Charities relies on donations to stock their room. Catholic Charities appreciates the more than 100 bags of clothing SJC generously donated in the last year.
- Clothing Room – Volunteers are needed to work once monthly for 2-3 hours a week (usually Tuesdays, 9:00 – 11:30am). We carpool to Catholic Charities in Cicero, and there we sort clothing donations. It’s a minimal commitment and flexible. You can try it once, every other month or monthly. Contact: Maureen King – 708-246-1971 firstname.lastname@example.org) or Kelly McAuliffe – 630-794-0875 Kellyamac29@comcast.net Link to Volunteer Page
- Join other parishioners who get involved in Catholic Charities programs at the West Region location at 1400 S. Austin Blvd, Cicero. Consider getting involved these activities:
- SMART homework assistance in Cicero: provide help to primary grade children in an after-school program (Mon/Tues/Thurs) during the school year.
- Sort and organize the Food Pantry or Clothing Room
- Organize food or clothing drives to benefit Catholic Charities Clothing Rooms
- For Adult day care, conduct arts and craft classes or book club discussions
- St. Mary of Celle – Catholic Charities St. Mary of Celle Family Strengthening Center in North Berwyn is looking for people with special skills and donation of supplies to help with craft, art, dance classes and more.
- Volunteer Opportunities at Catholic Charities West
Find these and other volunteer opportunities in Cicero http://www.catholiccharities.net/locations/west/volunteer_opportunities or contact Esmeralda Zepeda at 708-329-4022
You can also contact the main Catholic Charities web page http://www.catholiccharities.net/get_involved/