We are back into the swing of things and moving quickly in Language Arts. Now that we have established our classroom expectations and environment, we will be introducing many new things in the classroom in September.
Starting with Ipads: Upon receipt of iPads, students will be expected to check Google Classroom on a daily basis for class work and homework. Keep an eye out for your invitation to join Google Guardian. You may choose to receive a weekly recap (sent out on Friday) or a daily update (sent out each day at 3:00pm). If you would like to know what homework your child(ren) are assigned on a daily basis, please opt for the daily email.
MAP Testing during the week of September 9th. Students will be required to bring in wired headphones connected to 1/8” jack. Bluetooth is not accessible during testing.
Content covered in LA during September:
- Students will continue working on DOL. The first DOL quiz over weeks 1-4 will take place in mid-September.
- We will begin character, theme, and symbolism analysis along with our discussions related to And Then There Were None.
- We will continue to implement grammar lessons into the classroom based on common areas that need improvement (strong sentences, writing in present tense, quote introductions, writing complete sentences, avoiding repetition, etc.).
- Students will also be starting to work on their vocabulary skills through Membean.com. Students will be required to work on these skills at least two days a week, and at least fifteen minutes each day. Students will be quizzed on the vocabulary terms covered.
- StudySync: SyncStart Unit – This is the starting point of the current 7th grade LA curriculum. It will help familiarize students with the app.
These first couple of weeks have been very productive. I am looking forward to continuing to grow and learn as a class. If you have any further questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact me.