Happy New Year! I hope everyone had a relaxing break.
Upon returning to school, we are beginning our poetry unit. Throughout this unit, students will be required to read and analyze various through practicing the following skills:
- using context clues
- recognizing the effects of alliteration and onomatopoeia
- identifying rhythm and rhyme scheme
- paraphrasing to improve understanding
- comprehending extended metaphors
- identifying and using subject complements
- establishing literal meanings and metaphorical meanings of poems
Throughout the unit, students will be writing and sharing their own poetry as well.
Additionally, students will be working on their second trimester book report, which requires them to create a “newspaper” with several different sections. Students must complete a feature news article and editorial based on their nonfiction text selection. Then, students will need to pick four of the following sections to include:
- weather report
- advice column
- sports article
Lastly, students will continue to train on Membean in order to increase vocabulary. Each week, students must train for at least thirty minutes. Students will continue to work on argumentative writing and reading comprehension skills through the use of Scope magazine and NewsELA articles.
As always, feel free to reach out with any questions or concerns.