Dear Parents and/or Guardians:
Welcome back from Easter break! We realize that we are in the final stretch of the 2017-2018 school year. We are grateful for the time away to celebrate Easter, see friends and family and refresh ourselves before the final weeks of the school year.
Prior to Easter break, our school Mission Committee sponsored a Book Drive for Charter Collegiate, a newly opened school on the south side of Chicago. The school attempts to provide a high quality education for low-income students. Through your generosity, we collected over 7000 new or gently used books for grades K-12. During the drive, our children were reading The Lemonade War in grades K-6. Based upon the book, Mrs. Michalowski organized an SJC Lemonade War during the lunch periods back in February. The $730.00 raised at that time was also donated to Chicago Collegiate to help fund books for the school. We are overwhelmed at the generosity of our families. As a community, we have lived up to our school theme this year “We Are One Body.” Thank you!
Coupled with the Lenten Project, we hosted an out of uniform day, sponsored through our Student Council, as we do three times a year for a person or group in need that impacts our students. As with the Book Drive, we attempt to teach the children the importance of giving back. As you are so keenly aware, one of our former students, Rachael Schopp, encountered a very serious accident last summer. We raised $1600.00 through the out of uniform day to assist the family with the daily care of Rachael. Please continue to keep Rachael and her family in your prayers each day. Thanks also for your generosity.
As I mentioned in my last newsletter, representatives from the State of Illinois visited SJC and completed an audit of our school records, curriculum, etc. We received rave commendations for a job well done. They made no recommendations for improvement and did not deliver any citations. SJC will continue to receive the Nonpublic School Recognition from the State of Illinois, as well as continue to deliver a high quality education to its students.
The Aspire summative testing period occurs during the week of 4/16/18, Tuesday through Friday. The children test those days, first thing in the morning. We ask that you make an effort to assure that your children are at school promptly at 8:55 AM so that they may begin testing with their class. No student will be allowed in the classroom once testing has begun. We recommend that you prepare a good breakfast for your child/ren to assist their readiness as well. We will not suspend after school activities as it tends to be a release for the children; however, they will not be given homework/tests that week.
This Friday, 4/13, marks the halfway point of the final trimester. I encourage parents to reach out to your child/ren’s teacher if you have any questions as we work together to achieve academic excellence. Thank you for your continued partnership in educating your child/ren.
Our students in grades 5-8 have been working very diligently preparing to perform School House Rock, SJC’s school play this year. Mrs. Jennifer Miller, Director, has the children singing, dancing and enjoying their roles as actors/actresses onstage. We are truly blessed at SJC with our talented students who have the opportunity to showcase those talents through our Fine Arts Program. Please come and see the wonderful job that the children accomplish. The show dates/ times are Friday, 4/27 at 7 PM, Saturday, 4/28 at 7 PM and Sunday, 4/29 at 2 PM. Tickets are on sale now and can be purchased through Mrs. Jennifer Mazur at Jenmazur1971@gmail.com.
As parents are aware, the culmination of our academic programs occurs on Wednesday, 5/9/18 with Spotlight on SJC/STEM Night. We want to let you know now so that you can prepare to be mesmerized by your child/ren’s accomplishments. The doors of the school open from 7-8 PM to a myriad of academics and projects students completed throughout the school year. Our teachers highlight their accomplishments for parents to come in and see. It is truly amazing to realize how much learning does occur over a ten-month span. Come and see, bring the kids, and enjoy ice cream sponsored by the Parent Association as you leave the building.
UPCOMING APRIL ACTIVITES/EVENTS:
- 4/9/18 – Return to school from Easter break
- 4/10/18 – Parent Association Meeting at 9 AM in the Parish Center
- 4/11/18 – 7th grade Safety and First Aid Presentation
- 4/12/18 – 5th grade boys’ hygiene talk
- 4/13/18 – Out of Uniform Day
- 4/13/18 – 8th grade Talent Show in the gym at 2:30 PM
- 4/13/18 – Fortnightly for 8th grade at 7 PM in the MPR
- 4/14/18 – 2nd grade retreat begins in the church from 9 – 11:30 AM
- 4/15/18 – Final date to post your TIME, TALENT, TREASURE online
- 4/17/18-4/20/18 – Aspire Testing
- 4/17/18 – School Advisory Board Meeting at 7 PM in the Parish Center
- 4/19/18 – Special Lunch
- 4/20/18 – Fortnightly for 8th grade at 7 PM in the MPR
- 4/23/18 – 9:15 AM Easter liturgy in the church, grade 4
- 4/26/18 – Play dress rehearsal in the gym at 9:15 AM
- 4/27/18 – Tar War Presentation to grade 5 during PE classes
- 4/27/18-4/29/18 – School play at 7 PM on Friday and Saturday; 2 PM on Sunday
- 4/30/18 – MAP testing week for grades K-2
Health Update – We continue to have students absent with a cold that can include an eye infection and others with stomach virus.
Spring is arriving with rising pollen counts. Please be aware if your child experiences spring allergies and consult your physician regarding the use of allergy medications as needed. Review expiration dates for these medications and any inhalers you have from last year. Any medication needed to be given at school requires a consent form signed by the physician and the parent. Forms are available on our website. If you are scheduling an annual allergy or other doctor visit, please remember to have new forms completed for the coming school year.
- The tuition letter for next school year with the updated tuition charges will be sent home within the week. If any family is in need of financial aid, you must apply by 5/15/18. Please contact Mrs. Val Nelson for the necessary paperwork.
- TIME, TALENT, TREASURE – Please submit your volunteer hours online to receive the 2018-2019 parish subsidy. It is due by 4/15/2018. We will remove the link at that time.
- We welcome back Mrs. Serafini, our 2nd grade teacher, from her Maternity leave. She returns on 4/16/2018. Thank you to Mrs. Cote for doing a fine job while Mrs. Serafini was away.
- PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN – It is imperative that any parent volunteer completes the steps of the “Protecting God’s Children Safe Schools Program” before they may volunteer in their children’s classrooms, field trips, coaching, etc. Please note, we will have a Virtus session here at SJC in the Parish Center on 5/11/8 at 6:30 PM. For information regarding the program, please contact Mrs. Wingert at email@example.com or 708-246-4454.
- We continue to keep Rachael Schopp and Father David in our prayers each day.
- Mrs. Sue Bak is recuperating from her recent surgery. Please continue to keep her in your prayers.