Dear Parents and/or Guardians:
Another school year comes to an end in a few days. It has concluded already for the 2019 graduating class. They officially became alumnus of St. John of the Cross Parish School last Thursday evening. The Mass and Commencement Ceremony were beautiful. It was wonderful being a part of not only the spiritual and educational journey of this class, but also watching the children grow year to year into fine young ladies and gentlemen. We wish the Class of 2019 the best in their move forward and thank their families for supporting Catholic education over the years. May God bless the students and their families!
At this time, we also find different staff members leaving. We are happy for them – they will be missed. Good luck to Mrs. Linehan as she officially enters retirement. She looks forward to spending more time with her family. In the same way, Mrs. Grecco also enters the world of retirees and a new phase of her life. Mr. Rankin accepted a position as a teacher in Germany for the next two years, where he will teach music in English to the children. Mrs. Dragich leaves the Science lab for other pursuits. We are grateful for the years of service each of these individuals has given to SJC.
One final staff member who will not be returning to SJC is Mrs. Bak, who took a medical leave of absence last school year. Mrs. Bak gave over thirty years of dedicated service to the children and families of St. John of the Cross Parish School. Her energetic style, her knowledge of the current educational pedagogy in the PE and Health arena, her creation of Games Day and the Mileage Club are just a few of the areas where she leaves her mark. We wish Mrs. Bak the best as she moves on.
Whether these staff members contributed many years or just a few years to SJC, in their own way, they too became members of our family and we will keep them in our prayers.
To the rest of our SJC family, we wish you a safe and healthy summer break. We look forward to your return next August. Enjoy the summer, rest, relax, and spend time with your family. Thank you for your support this past school year. We look forward to many more years of our partnership together.
God bless you all!
KEY DATES/ITEMS TO REMEMBER:
- Parent Association
Thank you to the Parent Association for their many contributions to SJC every day. Their final event takes place on Thursday, 6/6, as the children enjoy “Celebrate SJC Day!” The children fondly refer to it as Fun Day, and we view it as an opportunity to celebrate all the good things that have happened over the year. Many volunteers are needed in order for this event to take place. Thank you Jackie Cabana and Colleen Murphy who have diligently worked toward making Thursday a success!
- School ends with a 9:15 AM liturgy on 6/7. The children are dismissed at 11 AM.
- Time Talent Treasure for the 2019-2020 school year will be posted mid-June on the Parent Dashboard once again so that parents may begin posting their information.
- Our summer hours are posted on the website and will also be posted on the front door. Even though the school is closed for several weeks, you can contact us by leaving a message on the school phone and it will be returned promptly. Parents may also drop off any paperwork in the mailbox near the front door. It is checked every day.
- Senior Sendoff takes place on 8/7 at 6:00-7:00 PM for former SJC alumni who are now off to college.
- Back to School New Family Picnic occurs on 8/11 at Springdale Park from 12:00 – 2:00 PM.
- Next Principal Parent Newsletter will be posted 8/1. It will include the school opening activities, events, etc.
- The full school calendar will also be posted through the Parent Dashboard on 8/1. A new segment to the calendar will include 4 days of late arrival for teacher professional development.
- We will return to the former Meet the Teacher Night, which takes place on 8/20 from 7-8 PM.
- School begins for grades 1-8 on Wednesday, 8/21.
- The new school day begins with the first bell at 8:25 AM, so drop off would begin at 8:15, and the tardy bell follows at 8:40 AM, with the school day ending at 3:15 PM.
Medication- Epipens, inhalers, etc., kept in the nurse’s office for students is to be picked up by the parent on the last day of school at the Nurses’ Office. You may also pick up forms to be completed for medication next year. The nurse will be available from the beginning of school until 11:30 on Friday, June 7th. If your child will not be here on Friday, you will need to pick up medication at the end of the day on Thursday. After Friday you will need to contact the nurse for availability by email to make arrangements to pick up any medication.
Health information was sent to you by email on May 1st, that health information and all related forms are available on the website. Sports physical forms have also been sent to you by email. Sports physicals are processed by the nurse’s office and filed with athletics during the sports season.
Please make your appointments as soon as possible and turn in the required health forms as soon as possible. You may use the silver mailbox outside the main entrance or mail them to school. I will be processing forms in the order they are received once I return the last week of July. Please do not wait to turn your forms in, especially if your sport begins August 1st.
PROTECTING GOD’S CHILDREN
If parents want to volunteer in the school within any capacity, the Virtus training new dates will be posted later this summer.
For information regarding the program, please contact Mrs. Wingert at firstname.lastname@example.org or 708-246-4404.