2019-20 Principal's News
Sacramental Programs/Liturgies/Prayer OpportunitiesAt the start of each school year, we provide information regarding our sacramental program. The school works in conjunction with the Parish Youth Catechesis (YC) in offering sacraments and sacramental preparation meetings. Those key dates are as follows:
- Grade 8 Parent Confirmation Meeting, Tuesday, 9/17, at 6:30 PM in the church
- Grade 2 Parent Sacramental Meeting, Tuesday, 9/24 at 6:30 PM in the Parish Center
CurriculumAt our Curriculum Night on 8/29, I introduced our new staff, updated parents on the second year of our technology plan, highlighted changes in programming and mentioned key calendar dates. For those parents who missed the presentation, we have improved upon the following areas of curriculum:
- We are in year two of our Technology Strategic Plan. You are familiar with our newly designed website, which allows us to use the main website as a Marketing tool. Mrs. Mary Beth Drafz, our new Website Coordinator, will work closely with Mrs. Tiffany White moving forward. You may access our Technology vision and goals under academics.
- As part of the digital citizenship goal, a program required by the Office of Catholic Schools, students are learning basic social etiquette with the use of emails. Grades 4-8 received an in-house email address last May. Teachers will build upon the proper etiquette and use of social media platforms.
- We have partnered with TinkR Works, located in Hinsdale. They work directly with Mr. Reynolds, our Tech Coach, in developing the 8th grade curriculum and through our after school Technology Club.
- Grades K-2 utilize MAP formative assessment. We feel that the information we receive from the MAP testing is richer than the Aspire Interim formative assessment. Therefore, all grades K-8 will utilize the MAP formative assessment once a trimester.
- We created a Social Emotional Learning (SEL) Curriculum in grades 5 and 6 with Mrs. Brabham, School Counselor. We found that the intermediate grades are a transitional time for children. We want them to learn important social skills, understand how to manage their feelings, solve social problems, and learn to be a friend. In grade 5, it becomes part of the Study Skills Program and in grade 6, it replaces the LRC. The students meet with Mrs. Brabham once a week.
- Mrs. Baldacci teaches two Preschool Enrichment classes beginning 9/10/19 with Science Enrichment and 9/12/19 with LA Enrichment. Registration can be accessed through Smart Tuition. Mrs. Moore offers an enrichment for her 5th grade LA students during lunch once a week. Please contact Mrs. Moore if interested.
- As stated in our Parent/Student Handbook, Alternative/E-learning will be implemented on days when school is cancelled due to inclement weather or other unexpected closures. When implementing an Alternative/E-learning day, SJC will utilize only up to 4 days of Alternative/E-learning during the school year. Students in grades PreK-3 will have some planned academic requirements on these days but may be limited in scope. Students in grades 4-8 will complete assignments posted on Google Classroom. All assignments will be posted by 9:00am. Teachers will be available to answer questions via email from 9 AM until 3:00pm. If Internet access is limited on E-Learning days, teachers will be flexible with those situations. However, the expectation is that students will complete the work in a timely manner as developed between student and teacher.
- As mentioned in the August Newsletter, Mr. Portillo will be returning to SJC and offering both band and piano. Mr. Portillo, after several years as a band instructor, now operates his own company, UP Music. Grades 4 and 5 will hear a band demonstration on Tuesday, 9/3, and have the opportunity to try different instruments on Wednesday, 9/4. Mr. Portillo will provide information for students to register in the program.
- We have four late starts designated this school year for professional development. Students start the day at 10 AM and may begin arriving at 9:40. Those dates are:10/10/19, 11/14/19, 3/12/20 and 5/7/20. In this way, we may provide our teachers with professional development to better serve your children.
SafetyPlease remember parents to maintain safety when dropping off or picking up in the parking lot at all times. We must always be concerned for the safety of our children. Another area of safety concerns the use of cell phones in a school zone. Please remember, according to the Illinois Vehicle code 625 ILCS 5/12-610.1: No cell phone use is permitted in a school zone.Please abide by this law. If your child rides a bicycle to school, please inform him/her to lock it. Parents, please report student absences on the Absence Hotline, 708-292-1162. Thank you. I look forward to our continued work together. God bless our school families. Sincerely, Kathleen Gorman Principal
KEY SEPTEMBER CALENDAR DATES (More information to follow)
- Fall Pictures, grades PK-7, 9/17
- Special Lunch, 9/19
- Grandparents Day for Preschool/Kindergarten, 9/23 – see calendar
- Grandparents Day for grades 1-3 and Pre 3 (T, Th) – see calendar
- Math Parent Night, grades K-8, 9/25
- Progress Reports for 1st trimester, K-2, 9/27