Extended School Day care is designed to accommodate all families whose children are enrolled in St. John of the Cross School. Care is available between the hours 7:30-8:40 am & 3:30-5:30 pm on full days when school is in session in the Learning Resource Center (LRC). Students will have space for individual or group games and supervised study space with homework help available.
Attendance & Guidelines
- Enrolled SJC students in kindergarten through eighth Grade can attend.
- Before and After School Care is provided on all full school days. There will not be care on ½ days, holidays or scheduled institute days.
- Students enrolled in half day morning kindergarten can attend only Before School Care from 7:30 – 8:40.
- Students enrolled in half day afternoon Kindergarten can attend only After School Care from 3:30 – 5:30.
- All Day Kindergarteners can attend both Before and After Care.
- Based on enrollment - Before and After Care will be in the LRC for grades K through 4. Grades 5th – 8th may be in a separate classroom. All Students will return to the LRC for pick-up.
- Students should provide their own healthy snacks. See SJC Handbook for specifics.
- Charges will be $5.00 per 1/2 hour or $10.00 per hour
- Pre-paid family cards for 5-15 hours of care can be purchased through the school office financial by check for $50, $100, or $150. Payment can be arranged by electronic withdrawal.
- Cards can be per student or per family. Two or more children can share a pre-paid card.
- Cards will be kept on file in the Learning Resource Center (LRC).
- A one time registration fee of $25 will be assessed to each family when they register for the program. This fee will be deducted as time is used by the family. A notice will be sent when the balance is zero. A credit balance will NOT transfer to the next school year.
- Late fees will be assessed for students picked up after 5:30.
- Special arrangements can be made to meet the needs of individual families and students.
During the morning students remain in the LRC and can:
- Bring a healthy breakfast snack
- Play free choice games
- Enjoy computer time
During the afternoon, students have several options to fill the time they spend with us.
- Optional Snack time
- Supervised Outside Playtime in the SJC parking lot with small equipment, Weather Permitting
- SQUIRT: Serious-Quiet-UnInterrupted-Reading-Time
- Homework Help
- Math Practice: Flash Cards, White Boards and computer games
- Access to LRC Computers & Software and research Spelling, math, social studies, keyboarding
- Specific Classes Book club, study skills, etc
- Students may attend After School Care before or after any SJC activity. They will be charged per the rate schedule and escorted to the activity. These students will be charged for only the time spent in the After School Care program.
Staffing will be determined based on enrollment under SJC policy.
All SJC school policies apply to this program.
- Acceptable Usage of Computer Policy
- Use of electronic devices
- General behavior can be found in the SJC Student Handbook.
Check in/Check Out
Morning Drop Offs
- Drop offs will be at the LRC door on the North/East side of the building.
- Each child will be signed in and out by their parent or care provider in an attendance book.
Afternoon Pick Ups
- Pickups will be through the LRC door on the North side of the building.
- Parents must enter the LRC and sign their child/children out.
- Only adults authorized on the registration form are allowed to take children from the LRC.
- Parents must call or provide written permission for a child to be released to any other adults.
Parents and child care providers must follow the procedures in the SJC handbook to notify a student of any emergencies or changes in the pick-up schedule. The school office will notify homeroom teachers.
Should an emergency arise for a non-registered family, students will be charged by the hour and the $25 registration fee will be added to the charge at that time. The one free session will not apply.
In order to encourage all students to use the LRC, students working on a group or individual research project can meet in the LRC for the first hour after school at no charge.
- A written request from a teacher will be required. After school book check-outs will not require a note.
- Students coming into the LRC in the morning, on a regular basis (more than once a year) to print out homework assignments will be required to register for the program.
- Students coming into the LRC to take a make-up test as requested by a teacher, will not be required to register for the program.
St. John of the Cross Parish School
708 -51st Street, Western Springs, IL 60558
SJC Office (708) 246-4454
LRC Direct Phone (708) 292-1112
HOURS: 7:30-8:40 AM and 3:30-5:30 PM
E-mail - email@example.com