Baptism is the external rite celebrating the entrance of a person into the Catholic faith and the parish family. It is the beginning of a child’s—or adult’s—Christian life, the time when he or she enters into a life of grace. Baptisms are held three Sundays per month at 1:30 p.m. (after the 12:15 p.m. Mass) in winter; and at Noon (after the 10:45 a.m. Mass) in the summer months.
A Baptism usually involves two steps:
1. Call the Parish Center about arrangements.
All the information we will need to have your baby baptized will be asked over the phone. For example, you will be asked if you have chosen godparents. One godparent must be a practicing, confirmed Catholic. An unbaptized person cannot be a godparent or sponsor. Call from 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.to speak with one of our receptionists.
- Baptisms are held on Sunday afternoons during each month. No more than four babies are baptized in one ceremony. Families meet in the church community room about 20 minutes before the Baptism.
2. Attend a Baptism Preparation Class.
- All parents (even if they have had another child Baptized), are asked to attend a Baptism Preparation Class, usually held the 4th Sunday of the month from 1:30-3:30 (Noon in the summer months). Godparents are also encouraged to attend the class.
- Baptism Coordinators serve as Facilitators for the Baptism Preparation Class and the Baptisms.
St. John of the Cross is honored and happy to celebrate the baptism of your child with you and your family. For adult baptisms, please see RCIA menu section.
2018 – 2019 Baptism Dates
Sorry, dates marked in red are full.
- October 7,14,21 at 1:30pm
- November 4,11,18 at 1:30pm
- December 2,9,16 at 1:30pm
- January 6 at 2:00pm
- January 13,20 at 1:30pm
- February 3,10,17 at 1:30pm
- March 3,10,17 at 1:30pm
- April 7 at 1:30pm
- May 5,12,19 1:30pm
- June 2,9,16 at Noon
- July 7,14,21 at Noon
- August 4,11,18 at Noon
- September 1 at Noon
- September 8,15 at 1:30pm
- October 6,13,20 at 1:30pm
- November 3,10,17 at 1:30
- December 1,8,15 at 1:30