Please call MJ Martin, Director of Parish Operations, to schedule a Baptism. 708-822-1627
• All guests need to bring a face mask. Masks must be worn by all participating in the baptism including godparents and other witnesses. Masks should be worn for the entire service by all participating with the exception of the baby if under two years old. Given the IDPH and CDC guidelines, those with breathing difficulties should be advised to stay at home, but if there is a need to attend, can be exempted from this requirement. However, those individuals must observe the strictest of social distancing from anyone not living in their domicile.
• All guests are asked to check their temperatures the morning of service and to stay home if symptomatic.
• Those in a vulnerable population are encouraged not to attend.
• Photo opportunities inside the church will be limited to one photo.
Baptism is the external rite celebrating the entrance of a person into the Catholic faith and the parish family. It is the beginning of a child’s—or adult’s—Christian life, the time when he or she enters into a life of grace. Baptisms are held three Sundays per month at 12:15pm.
Arranging a Baptism involves two steps:
1. Call the Parish Center about arrangements.
All the information we will need to have your baby baptized will be asked over the phone. For example, you will be asked if you have chosen godparents. One godparent must be a practicing, confirmed Catholic. An unbaptized person cannot be a godparent or sponsor. Call between 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.to speak with one of our receptionists.
- Baptisms are held on Sunday afternoons at 12:15pm each month. Up to four babies are baptized in one ceremony. Families meet in the church community room about 20 minutes before the Baptism.
2. Attend a Baptism Preparation Class.
- All parents (even if they have had another child Baptized), are asked to attend a Baptism Preparation Class, usually held the 4th Sunday of the month, except for the month of May when the class is on the last Sunday, May 31.
- Baptism Coordinators serve as Facilitators for the Baptism Preparation Class and the Baptisms.
St. John of the Cross is honored and happy to celebrate the baptism of your child with you and your family. For adult baptisms, please see RCIA menu section.
2020 Baptism Dates
Baptisms are at 12:15pm unless noted otherwise.
Sorry, dates marked in red are full.
- February 16
- March 1, 8, 15, 29
- April 19
- May 3 at (1:00)
- May 10 ,17
- June 7, 14, 21
- July 5, 12, 19
- August 2, 9, 16
- September 6, 13, 20
- October 4, 11, 18
- November 1, 8, 15
- December 6, 13, 20