The Archdiocese of Chicago has issued guidelines (based on guidance from the USCCB Committee on Divine Worship) which will be implemented in all parishes within the Archdiocese of Chicago effective immediately.
During all Masses and liturgies:
- Refrain from physical contact during the Sign of Peace (note: the Sign of Peace can be exchanged without physical contact)
- Refrain from distribution of Holy Communion via the chalice
- Given the frequency of direct contact with saliva in the distribution of Holy Communion on the tongue, every consideration should be given by each individual to receive Holy Communion reverently in open hands for the time being.
- Refrain from holding hands during the Lord’s Prayer.
- Refrain from using Holy Water fonts.
If you are not feeling well, you are not obligated to attend Mass.