Baptism is the external rite celebrating the entrance of a person into the Catholic faith and the parish family. It is the beginning of a child’s—or adult’s—Christian life, the time when he or she enters into a life of grace. Baptisms are held three Sundays per month at 1:30 p.m. (after the 12:15 p.m. Mass) in winter; and at Noon (after the 10:45 a.m. Mass) in the summer months.
2013 Baptism Dates
- April 7,14,21
- May 5,12,19
- June 2,9,16
- July 7,14,21
- August 4,11,18
- September 1,8, 15
- October 6,13,20
- November 3,10,17
- December 1,8,15
A Baptism usually involves two steps:
- Call the Parish Center about arrangements.
- All the information we will need to have your baby baptized will be asked over the phone. For example, you will be asked if you have chosen godparents. One godparent must be a practicing, confirmed Catholic. An unbaptized person cannot be a godparent or sponsor. Call from 9:00 a.m. and 3:00 p.m.to speak with one of our receptionists.
- Baptisms are held on Sunday afternoons during each month. No more than five babies are baptized in one ceremony. Families meet in the church community room about 20 minutes before the Baptism.
- You may also ask a priest who is a friend or family member to perform a private Baptism; please call the Parish Center to make sure the date you choose is available and reserve the date.
- Private Baptisms with one of our priests for a particular reason are also accommodated. Please call and confirm with a priest first.
- Attend a Baptism Preparation Class.
- For infant Baptisms, we ask parents to attend a Baptism Preparation Class, usually held the first Thursday of the month at 7:00 p.m. in the Parish Center. This Class last 60-90 minutes, and parents may bring their baby if they wish. Godparents are also welcome to attend class. This class covers everything you will need to know about having your baby baptized. A special information booklet will be sent to those parents not attending a class.
- Parents who have attended a Baptism Preparation class within the last five years may opt out of class.
- Five couples serve as volunteer Baptism Coordinators under the direction of Fr. Filbert Ngwila. Baptism Coordinators serve as Facilitators for the Baptism Preparation Class and the Baptisms.
St. John of the Cross is honored and happy to celebrate the baptism of your child with you and your family. For adult baptisms, please see RCIA menu section.